On the Ironton City Limits
Ironton Register, March 4, 1869 - Today W.D. Kelly & Sons have named their new Furnace, about which there has been so much talk of late. They have not yet decided as to the exact location, as the Council will not act on their petition till this evening.
Built in 1866 by W.D. Kelly, and put into operation in 1869, Grant was charcoal fueled iron furnace - the last one to be built in Lawrence County. After that, they were all coke-fueled