Virtual Lawrence County
Hanging Rock Iron Region Furnaces
While iron production originated in the northeastern corner of Ohio during the first half of the nineteenth century, southern Ohioans soon dominated the industry. The most productive area was centered near Hanging Rock, along the Ohio River. By 1860, southern Ohioans had established sixty-nine iron furnaces, producing more than 100,000 tons of iron annually, across Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Scioto, and Vinton Counties. The manufacturers sent much of the iron up and down the Ohio River to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, allowing southern Ohioans to prosper.
Big Etna (includes Alice and Blanche stacks)
The Swamp Angel
Maggie (Iron & Steel)
Ironton Rolling Mill, formerly the Eagle Mill